There is a growing trend for organizations to meet their missions by recruiting individuals, growing membership, taking on projects and initiating people-centred campaigns, enhanced by technology and data. NGOs can greatly enhance their effectiveness by retooling around the best practices of organizing and engagement. Advancing our various issues has now become about how we best support citizen mobilization and leadership.
This program is generously sponsored by:
?Engagement Organizing? is an approach that strives to marry organizing, technology, and a culture of developing leadership in others. It represents a shift away from expert-driven, direct mail groups toward a model that focuses on nimble, data-driven, learning organizations that place relationship building and mobilization of supporters at the heart of their work. The result is resilient, effective organizations that continue to advance their work in an ever-more demanding and challenged world.
The Engagement Organizing initiative of the Sustainability Network is supported by the Gosling Foundation?s Better Organizations for Nature project which involves:
- Collaboration with the Sustainability Network to provide opportunities for all ENGOs to learn about this practice.
- An Engagement Organizing Project and Opportunity Fund for Nature and Land protection organizations.
- A funded Community of Practice for Nature and Land protection organizations convened by the Sustainability Network.
The first cluster of ENGOs is known as ‘Better Organizations for Nature Community of Practice (BONCOP)’. Staff teams have met annually since 2015, quarterly by phone and most have received project support from the Gosling Foundation. BONCOP members include:
- rare Charitable Research Reserve
- Bruce Trail Conservancy
- Nature Canada
- Nature Trust of New Brunswick
- Couchiching Conservancy
- Bird Studies Canada
A second cluster – ‘Toronto Engagement Organizing Community of Practice (TEOCOP)’ – met four times in 2018 and consisted of representatives from:
- Canadian Freshwater Alliance
- National Farmers Union
- Project Neutral
- Reforest London
- Sierra Club Canada Foundation
- Simcoe County Greenbelt Coalition
Recording: Engagement Organizing: Peter Gibbs of Organize BC on How They Mobilize Volunteers to Create Change
Engagement Organizing with Future Majority: Aaron Myran on Field Organizing Tactics and Lessons Learned from the 2019 Election